Sunday, November 28, 2010

Your Assignment = My BLOG

A question was thrown to me, when a friend of mine is working on her essay assignment and the question is "What is your dream? What are your goals in life?"

Some people dreamed of becoming an actor, some as an architect, some as a businessman. They study things related to their dreams, they work on it, they get masters degree and some even PhD. If you ask a child what her dream is, they will definitely give you a profession, that they idolize, could be a direct influence from a family member or an adult friend. For a while I laughed coz I thought how come an MBA class would suddenly give out an essay assignment with such a question? For a second I thought, this people are old enough to still haven't reached their dreams, or perhaps even just know what it is. But now that you've asked me, I can't seem to think of any.

Maybe if you have asked me 6 or 7 months ago, I can give you a list. I admit I used to plan ahead. In school professors would usually tell us to plan things out ahead, know what you want, make a time table and accomplish things just as planned. For many years, I have been such a person. I plan things out ahead. I want things to be in order and just how I wanted it to be. I can't go to places when the trip is not planned out properly, aside from I need to book vacation off ahead from work, I just want things to be in order. Expenses should be accounted, accommodations should be booked, tickets should be purchased ahead for a no hassle vacation. When planning out for activities like going to school, the schedules should be known ahead, cash should be ready on hand, the requirements should be intact and I know what I should be after finishing school. In my day to day activities, I have a to do list where I write things that I wanted to accomplish during the day like do the laundry, pay bills, clean the house, cook for breakfast/lunch/dinner, do this and do that.

If I was asked this question 15 years ago, you would probably hear me screaming to death becoming an Architect. I am so into arts and craft and yes Architecture will always be my first love. But due to financial limitations, Architecture is not offered in MSU System, I have to choose another course, and So I picked Engineering course at first, because it was the "in" course at that time. But it turned out I find it so boring so I shifted to Biology, and true enough I found the excitement that I was looking for and at that time, for that short time, I dreamed of becoming a DOCTOR. But after multiple immersions I know by heart that I am not for it. So I decided to work.

If I was asked this question 6 years ago, you would probably hear me saying to be an office worker. And yes that dream came true. 2 years after I dream of becoming a Team Leader, and Yes that dream came true too. I dreamed of traveling to places spending my own money  and that dream came true too. I dreamed/wished/longed for? (hahaha) falling in love and yes it came true as well.  When I was working in an office setting I have been planning to invest into something, I have a list of things that I should do and should accomplish. Planning to buy things or own a house was part of the goal with a matching time table when and where. While working in an office I dreamed of working from home and now that I am, I couldn't ask for more.

If I was asked this question 6 months ago I would probably say "to be a  mother and a wife..." and a longer list after that (hahaha). 6 0r 7 months ago I have envisioned a life with someone, accompanied with dreaming having "our" own house, "our" own business, "our" own car and some other material things for the so called "us". But none of them came true. I was so disappointed, frustrated, devastated? exaggerated but true. I felt so down and lost hope. But I've got the message. It was so clear to me. Straight on my face, I can read it without my glasses, "Dreams won't come true if it's not meant to be and if it's not the right time and the right person".

And now I realize, dreams do change as you come of age. And if you ask me now what I want? and what's my goal? I can't give you even one. As I try to think about the things I have now, I believe I never dreamed about having these things big time. What I mean is I never have acknowledged such things as an ultimate dream. I enrolled culinary class out of nowhere, and became a Chef out of the blue. Now that I have the chance to revisit these things, I realize I once dreamed of becoming a Pastry Chef.

My dreams 6 months ago may have not come yet, but in God's time I know it will. Now I never think of it as a big deal to dream really really BIG. I may not be able to enumerate what my dreams are now, like really now, but whatever it is I know it'll pop in my mind the moment that I already have it. .. So how's my Arche then? hehe

Thanks to that assignment my friend... this is such an assignment! hehehe...

 

Like the post? Would you like the author to make more of these? Care to Donate! A little amount goes a long way. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment