Wednesday, March 12, 2008

TRUE LOVE 101: What is True Love?

Many people right now are waiting for their true love, that includes me in the list. I don’t know who started this true love myth but im taking the bit of it. If you would ask people about it, they would eventually tell you, “ there’s no such thing as true love”! some would say “you will now it when it comes!”. My question is. How will you know if that is true love?


While trying to answer that question, I tried searching the perfect answer over the internet. Hoping that I can gather better and updated info about it. So I searched and searched google for it. Website after website I searched for an answer. Something not biblical, something debatable.
I came across another blog. Created by a Filipina who married a foreigner. She opened her article with a bible verse. I read on it and since as I go along I find a lot of bible verses and her explanation about true love, I stopped and look for some more. I stoped not because I don’t believe the bible. I stopped because im searching for Something earthly I should say? Something debatable just like I said. But its already been hours and I still cant find for something that ive been looking for. So I tried to read on some articles that ive encountered and tried to make my own answer for the socalled true love mania.


Love. It’s a commonly thrown around four-letter word.”I love peanut butter”, “I love barbecue”, “I love chocolates” (Sounds familiar isn’t it?) Sometimes, even an “I love him” , “I love her” or “I love you” . Ouch im guilty for the latter.


What is true love? And is there a difference between that and the heart-pounding adrenaline rush I feel when I see …? If you’re a close friend of mine you know the person I’m talking about. That hot guy playing the guitar or drums at the bar… the cute girl who makes eye contact as she passes by… the friend of a friend of a friend… maybe a best friend. It’s that person we keep track of when he or she is in the same room, whose comments and actions we analyze without an end.


According to Harriet Sun, There are a few things love isn’t. Love isn’t a feeling. Although real love is often accompanied by strong feelings, love does not equate with the sense of floating on clouds or butterflies in the stomach. Unlike the type of love that movies, televisions and songs portray, people in love don’t always feel ooey gooey around each other. A relationship wouldn’t last long on emotions. In fact, knowledge is the basis of a healthy relationship.


Knowing the other person is key. I used to and sometimes still do “fall in love” with guys that I have never had a conversation with, whether it be a movie star in the latest romantic drama series or the guy behind me on the line in the pantry. I would know his name and his face, and that was the extent of my knowledge of him. If were to start a relationship with him, who knows where that would lead us!


Knowing about the person’s personality and character are so important (I think!). One good test is to list the qualities that attract us to that guy or girl. If the list is long, we know a lot about them or we know a lot but aren’t attracted to his or her personality.


Another is common life goals. If you decided that the relationship should be long term, we need to be going in the same general direction as the other person. If his dream is to travel around the world and she wants to be in a single location, conflict could arise. If she wants to live in a the country side with nature and the so called peaceful life and he likes the hustle and bustle of a big city, there are potentially serious problems with the direction of the couple’s lives. You two should be going the same way.


Love isn’t sex. Yeah and I'm definitely hearing contradictions at the back of your mind now! This statement alone goes against a lot of what the entertainment industry feeds us. Whenever two people hook up in pop culture, they have sex. Female and Male magazines are even teaching some outrageous techniques how to strengthen and deepen your relationship with your romantic partner through sex. Without showing some of the unpleasant realities of premarital and extramarital sex, it is drawn up to be a wonderful, fun recreational activity.


Sex is created for marriage—a long-lasting commitment between a couple. Outside of marriage, sex can have harsh consequences. Pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, guilt, insecurity, and shame can follow. A relationship based on lust can only last as long as the two are physically close and find each other sexually attractive.


Love is a choice. It’s a commitment. Although feelings will accompany love and although sex will be a part of marriage, a lasting, healthy relationship cannot be based in these things
Remember earlier I told you that I'm searching for an explanation without any biblical content in it since it would be un debatable. Well the reason why I cant find one is because God is Love. God, as our designer and creator made us with needs for love. Have you ever wonder why we constantly seek love from others but never feel completely satisfied It’s because God designs us for an unconditional love, and we, as people, are flawed.


People, whether friends, family, or your significant other, will invariably let you down or hurt you at some point. God wants us to find our need for love and acceptance in him first. One person cannot meet all our needs , even ifd he’s funny or she’s thoughtful. Only God can satisfy us!


According to TRUE LOVE 101: What does it take to be that significant other?
Love : Sees the other person’s imperfections and still love them
Love : Wants to serve the other person; selfless and not selfish
Love : Still spends time with others and does not spend all the time with the partner
Love :Takes time to build relationship and does not quickly falls
Love : Other relationships and friendships grow stronger
Love : Trust and understanding result in less sever and less frequent jealousy
Love : Encompasses a long-term commitment
Love : Survives and sometimes is strengthened because of distance
Love : Quarrels are less serious and less often
Love : Quarrels can strengthen the relationship and not damage it.


Given the scenarios and/or conditons presented above, are convincing and quiet acceptable to be the bases of what true love is. So i guess thats what really true love is.... whatchathink?

No comments:

Post a Comment